|Low: $1 to $2 per card||Medium: $3 to $11 per card||Published: Free to $400+|
Mailing engagement announcements is considered a traditional way to share upcoming nuptials with friends and family. Engagement announcements may also be called save the dates (as long as a wedding date has been chosen and is printed on the card), or they may simply serve as the precursor to an engagement party. Some couples forgo mailing engagement announcements, instead putting a photo and note in the local newspaper. A less formal yet popular way to announce an engagement is to create a wedding website and e-mail the link to friends and family.
Related articles: Calligraphy, Wedding Invitations, Save The Date Cards
- Expensive engagement announcements typically cost $3 or more per printed card, and may cost as much as $11 each for the fanciest cardstock and envelopes. Expensive stationery can set the tone for a formal wedding--it is typically thicker, conveying a richer feel. It may utilize textures, formal script and overall theme to convey that the upcoming nuptials will be a black tie event.
- Inexpensive engagement announcements typically cost $1 to $2 per printed card. These may be photo postcards or folded cards with envelopes. This stationery style paired with casual wording can help set the tone for a less formal wedding, and may include a photograph of the happy couple to create an inviting, less formal announcement.
- Basic newspaper announcements typically start at $25. Longer announcements with a photo in metropolitan newspapers can cost $400 or more. Your local newspaper may announce engagements for free, but a small fee is common.
- Hewlett Packard offers free, print-at-home engagement announcements. And you can send free video engagement announcements at The Knot.
- The Knot and The Wedding Channel recommend creating a free wedding website, where the couple can list details of their engagement, how they met, how he proposed, and more. Websites can be shared with friends and family via e-mail and social networking sites like Facebook and Twitter . For basic info on using these websites, consult the Twitter For Dummies and Facebook For Dummies cheat sheets.
What should be included:|
- Folded-card engagement announcements should include envelopes. Postcard-style announcement may not include envelopes.
- Print-on-demand stationery suppliers should give the option to proofread the announcements digitally before ordering. Wedding Paper Divas e-mails the digital proof within 3 days of ordering.
- For an additional cost, it may be possible to match the ink color to the wedding colors or have a return address printed on the envelope.
- With a variety of printed cards, My Expression will send a sample engagement announcement for $2.50.
Shopping for an engagement announcement:
- Though its specials change monthly, Wedding Paper Divas offers a variety of sale items and coupon codes.
- Invitation Consultants offers free ground shipping for all stationery orders over $150.
- Use proper etiquette when sending engagement announcements; only mail to people who will be invited to the wedding. My Punchbowl recommends sending out announcements only after personally telling everyone closest to the bride- and groom-to-be.
- Newspaper engagement announcements should include: the names and hometowns of the bride and groom, their parents' names, a general wedding date (i.e., "this spring"), and the couple's education and employment details. Love to Know offers wording suggestions for very formal to informal engagement announcements.
- The Knot suggests wording for printed engagement announcements, including examples of what to say when parents are hosting the wedding.
- Inexpensive printed engagement announcements are available at Snapfish , Vistaprint , and 123 Print for less than $1 per card.
- Consider creative engagement announcements, such as custom candy bars or breath mints with the couples' names printed on the packaging. Candy Undercover specializes in this type of announcement, selling personalized candies at around $2 each.
10 Reasons to Shop Small Business Saturday on Nov. 28
After the retail insanity of Black Friday, consider checking out locally-owned companies on Saturday, Nov. 28. || Posted October 25 2020
10 Key Ways to Prepare for Extreme Snow
Forecasters are predicting a true nor'easter will hit the eastern and central states with rain, thunderstorms, ice, snow and high winds over the Thanksgiving weekend. It's crucial to plan ahead, before bad weather hits. || Posted November 26 2013
What People Are Paying - Recent Comments
More Weddings Topics
Search Thousands of Topics on CostHelper.com